Sunday, February 10, 2008

Hockey Poem-Matt Rappolt

I wake up and see the frost biting the edge of my window pane
The tendrils itching to break though through the glass and get inside
It must be minus twenty five degrees
But I am not cold

I feel the adrenalin pumping through my veins
See the equipment carefully laid by the register
It is my armor
And it is time to fight

I arrive at the arena and solemnly get into my gear
I tape my stick and lace my skates, then with my team, step onto the ice
We hear the roar of the crowd
The battle is about to start

The ten armored gladiators face each other in the center of the ice
The official has the thing we all seek, the key to our victory
The crowd is screaming
The official drops the puck

In a flash the battle is on, we push and fight for the puck
I feel myself being slammed into the boards
But my pain is worthless
Compared to the battle we fight

The other team scrapes the puck loose and goes in on the goal
The tension inside me begins to rise
He winds up and the puck
Sails over the goalies blocker

I feel nothing but hate towards our enemy
no mercy or compassion only the urge to smash them to pieces
Now I fight for the puck
And my resilience pays off

I skate though the defense and come in on the goal
I wind up, fake the shot and let the puck go through my legs
My teammate one times it
The goalie never had a chance


Two more periods go by and the game is getting vicious
The enemy is waiting for a break in on goal
And with twelve seconds left
They are away all alone

I scream my frustration and my eyes can barely watch
Yet my eyes are glued to the play
He makes his deke and takes the shot
CLINK off the post!

I can barely contain my happiness
The horn sounds and we are going to over time
Hear the roar of the crowd
As we retreat to our room

After ten short minutes the hero’s return to their battle field
The official skates up and releases the puck
The crowd is screaming
The real battle is on

I fight in the corner and come up with the puck
I pass cross ice and watch my teammate come up to the red line
There is only one man back
It’s a two on one

He passes to me as we cross the blue line
All the season comes down to this game
I fake the defense and
Come in on net

I look into the goalies eyes I see the confidence in them
But also fear, I deke one way the back the other
I pick my spot
And fire the puck

The whole crowd holds their breath

COURTESY OF http://chat.mapleleafs.com/index.php?showtopic=47587

RESPONSE: This poem is about the reality of hockey. It tells you real strategies and it is very descriptive. I like this poem because it tells you all about hockey.

No comments: